Altomonte has taken various names over the centuries: Brahall, Bragalla, then Antifluvius. The current name of Altamonte or "highmount", given in 1343 by Queen Giovanna II of Naples, suggests its essence. The village rises at the borders of the National Park of Pollino, amidst one of the province's most enchanting landscapes, known for its artistic and cultural heritage. Part of the town stands on the plain, crossed by the Esaro, Grondi and Fiumicello rivers, and part stands on a hillcrest enjoying a splendid view. The town's medieval core is still visible, constructed around an earlier fortified nucleus. The residential entrances, sculpted in the 1600s to 1800s by local masons, are particularly suggestive.